Today I sat down to modify the permalink structure for this web site. The URLs for this blog used to include the /YYYY/MM/ date parts in them, and until recently, I never really gave them much thought except to think that it was sometimes interesting. Continue reading →
After such a long delay, I finally implemented share buttons from the 3 most popular social networking sites here today. The 3 most popular social networking sites are — at least according to me — Facebook, Google+ and Twitter.
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will find a little bar where you can find the various buttons to Like, +1 or Tweet the story to your family, friends and associates.
Partial screenshot of gidblog.com site social network buttons.
Over the past few days, I have been redesigning the homepage of GIDApp.com. Instead of creating a separate design for mobile devices and then another for regular desktop PCs, this time I decided to simply develop one layout for the web site (a responsive design with CSS) that will work with any device, at any screen size. Well, at least that is the plan… Continue reading →
If you ever need to redirect all your subdomains to a main subdomain like www, here is a method for you to easily accomplish that. I kept these notes from when I wanted to implement it for my own site: www.gidforums.com. Continue reading →
I could not log into my laptop (running on Ubuntu) yesterday. Every time I entered my password — a password I haven’t changed in years — I was returned to the same login screen all over again! But I could log into a console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1, so it was definitely not a typo-in-the-password error. Since I always have a second user account on my PCs, it was also easy for me to verify that I could log in (in desktop/graphical mode) as a different user without any difficulty. Continue reading →
After I “upgraded” Fedora (to Fedora 19) on my main PC recently, I only had one other essential post-installation task to complete before I could get back to my regular programming on this machine. I just had to install the pecl_http PHP extension next. Continue reading →
A couple of days ago, I “upgraded” Fedora on my main PC and everything seemed to be working really well until I tried to set up a local development version of one of my sites back on the machine. Continue reading →